The University of Bucharest was founded by the Decree no. 765 of July 4th,1864 by Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza and is a leading academic centre and a significant point of reference in society.
The University of Bucharest is rich in history and has been actively contributing to the development and modernisation of Romanian education, science and culture since 1694. A brief chronological history is explained below:
Constantin Brâncoveanu, ruler of Wallachia, founds the Academy of Saint Sava in Bucharest, at the advice of Constantin Cantacuzino, a brilliant scholar and humanist educated at Padova. Lectures were taught in Greek.
Alexandru Ipsilanti, ruler of Wallachia, reforms the curriculum of the Saint Sava Academy which starts teaching courses of French, Italian and Latin. New buildings for the Academy are erected between 1776 and 1779.
Carol Davila creates the National School of Medicine and Pharmacy.
The cornerstone of the Palace of the University of Bucharest was laid. The Palace, which is located in the University Square, was designed by the president of Romanian architects, Alexandru Orăscu, on the same lines as the Western universities.
Establishment of the Faculty of Law.
Establishment of the Faculties of Sciences and Letters.
1864 4/16 iulie
Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza creates the University of Bucharest by bringing together the Faculties of Law, Sciences and Letters as one single institution (decree no. 756 of 4/16 July 1864).
The Faculty of Medicine is created through the transformation of the National School of Medicine and Pharmacy.
Closure of the University of Bucharest as a result of German occupation during the First World War.
Construction of the Law Faculty building.
Passing of the Education Reform Law, which applies the Soviet model to higher education, leading to a thorough restructuring of the University of Bucharest. The Faculties of Theology, Human Medicine and Veterinary Medicine are detached from UB.
The higher education institutes are dismantled and new institutes subordinated to the Academy of the Romanian People’s Republic are created.
The beginning of a renewal process for the University of Bucharest. New faculties departments and research centres are created, the teaching process is radically reorganized, and the number of students considerably increases.
There is also a spectacular increase in the international contacts and co-operation projects of the University of Bucharest.
Celebration of 300 years since the foundation of the Princely Academy and 130 years since the establishment of the modern structures of the University of Bucharest.
Adoption of the University of Bucharest’s Charter.
The University of Bucharest now comprises 19 faculties, with over 30,000 full-time students of whom 1000 foreign students, and with 3,000 teaching positions.
The 19th faculty, the Faculty of Business and Administration, is created.
University of Bucharest was ranked by the Ministry of Education, Research, Youth and Sport as the first university for advanced research and education – Order of the Ministry of Education, Research, Youth and Sport no. 5262/2011 regarding the results of the classification of universities
The University of Bucharest celebrates its 150th anniversary in the company of representative members of the national and international academic communities.
On the occasion of its 151th anniversary, the University of Bucharest reopened the doors of the University of Bucharest Museum for visitors, after a year of renovations, modernization and reorganization works.
University of Bucharest announces the launch of the English language...
The "Academic Deontology" course will be organized in English,...
Between the 12th and the 15th of Febryary 2018, the "Ţara Haţegului"...
Unique in the whole world, the ambitious project of transforming the...
During the 19th and the 25th of February 2018, the University of...
This international conference “Mediatizing memory: History and its mediatic construction”– Call for papers
This international conference “Mediatizing memory: History and its...